I was born in 1954 in Tulsa, Oklahoma and raised there into the 6th grade. After my parents divorced and mom remarried we moved to California briefly before going to the Dallas-Ft. Worth area for the remainder of my adolescence. In my Junior year in High School I was baptized and became a Christian.
I spent two years living in Italy, where I worked in a missions organization associated with Churches of Christ. Upon my return to the U.S. with the intention of studying to be a missionary in Europe. I attended a small Christian college affiliated with Churches of Christ beginning in the Fall of 1975.
I married my wife in May of 1978 and following graduation, moved to another Christian university where I did graduate studies until taking a minister position in new Jersey, where I remained from 1981 to 1993.
In 1992 we had our one and only child, our daughter.
From there I took a ministry position in Illinois but was forced out of that position by my own undoing after 2 years. During these years in ministry my views continued to take on a more and more progressive stance. By the time I left the last church i was decidedly no longer theologically a part of the denomination of my heritage.
We moved to Pennsylvania where I looked for a new ministry position. Finding no opportunities I eventually was forced to take on other work, ultimately working in the telecommunications industry where I took the position of Vice president of a small telecom/telemarketing brokerage firm.
By 2001 I was restless in the business world and sought to reenter the ministry, but certainly not with the Churches of Christ. I eventually took the position of pastor for two small rural congregations that had recently left the United Church of Christ denomination. We remained there until November of 2014 at which time we bought a house in a nearby community and I left ministry and began,in earnest, a reassessment of my religious views.
In October 2017 Sharon and I visited, for the first time, the Unitarian Universalist Church of Harrisburg. Since then we have placed membership and become active in the choir, membership committee, worship committee (me), the religious education program (Sharon), and numerous activities of the community life. Being a part of the UU has been liberating, enlightening and joyous. It has given me a place where I feel free to be myself with all of my questions, doubts and inconsistencies.
---------------------------------------------
ATTENTION: For those friends and family that are invited to view my blog I only ask that you respect my privacy and to not talk about my postings or beliefs outside of this venue. Not all of my family are aware of the changes that have taken place in my life and I prefer not to distress them at this point in their lives.
Looks good so far. I look forward to reading more.
ReplyDelete